Common Recycling Terms
There are many terms used to identify recycled content, but do you know what they mean?
Here’s a quick rundown:
- Recycled material: Any material that has been diverted from a waste stream
- Post-consumer content: Any material that has been used by a consumer and then recycled
- Pre-consumer content: Byproducts from manufacturing
- Biodegradable: Material that will decompose if left on the ground
- Photodegradable: Material that will decompose if exposed to the sun
- Compostable: Material that will decompose if exposed to the elements that is also safe and beneficial to add to a compost pile
Are there any terms we missed? Let us know in the comments below!