Did you know…
- Used aluminum cans can be recycled and back on a grocery store shelf as a new can in 60 days? Now that’s fast turnover.
- To produce each week’s Sunday newspapers over 500,000 trees must be cut down.
- If all of our newspapers were recycled, we could save 250,000,000 trees a year.
- Americans throw away 25,000,000,000 Styrofoam coffee cups each year.
- About a third of the average dump is made up of packaging material.
- Out of every $10 spent buying things, $1 is spent on packaging that is thrown away.
- A single quart of motor oil can contaminate up to 2,000,000 gallons of fresh water if it is disposed of improperly.
- The United States produces more trash than any other country, at 1,609 pounds per person per year. This means that 5% of the world’s population generates 40% of the waste.
- Iron and steel are the world’s most recycled materials. In fact, steel does not lose any of its inherent properties when recycled.
- In 2008, there was 4.6 billion pounds of e-waste in the United States. However, less than 900 million pounds (19%) of that waste was recycled.
For more facts about recycling, check out this page, or the All Green website.